You have seen articles about food safety and food additives in the news lately so I dug up an article from Prevention Magazine written by Liz Vaccariello entitled “Seven Foods Even Food Safety Experts Won’t Eat”. Bon appetit!
- Canned Tomatoes - resin linings of tin cans can contain bisphenol-A, a synthetic estrogen. Acidic contents (such as tomato sauces) cause BPA to leach into food. Solution - choose fresh tomatoes or ones packaged in glass bottles or waxed boxes.
- Corn-Fed Beef - cattle evolved to eat grass, not grains. According to a Clemson University study grass-fed beef, compared to corn-fed, is higher in beta-carotene, Vitamin E, conjugated linoleic acid, calcium, magnesium and potassium; lower in the inflammatory omega-6’s; and lower in saturated fats. Solution - buy grass-fed beef.
- Microwave Popcorn - the problem is the chemicals in the lining of the bag. Solution - pop it the old-fashion way in a skillet or pan.
- Potatoes (non-organic) - root vegetables absorb herbicides, pesticides, and fungicides during the growing season. Because these chemicals are absorbed they cannot be washed off! Solution - buy organic potatoes.
- Farmed Salmon - nature didn’t intend for salmon to be artifically fed in pens. Farmed salmon tend to be lower in Vitamin D and higher in contaminants including carcinogens, PCB’s, and pesticides. Solution - switch to wild-caught Alaska salmon. If the package says fresh Atlantic, it’s farmed. No commercial fisheries remain for wild Atlantic salmon.
- Milk Produced with Artificial Hormones - bovine growth hormone (rBGH or rBST) is used to increase milk production but may have a deleterious effect on humans. Solution – check labels for rBGH-free, rBST-free, produced without artifiial hormones, or organic milk.
- Conventional Apples - fall apples are sprayed with pesticides because, as individually grafted trees, apples don’t develop resistance to many pests. Solution - buy organic apples or at least wash and peel them first.
As you can see, there are a few relatively easy and not very expensive ways to protect yourself from potentially harmfull food products. In the same vein, Key Compounding Pharmacy helps protect its customers from unnecessary exposure to chemicals by not using dyes, preservatives, or unnecessary excepients in its compounding. We do that Just For You!