Veterinary CompoundsCall our compounding professionals to discuss individualized treatments that meet your pets needs and preferences.
Pharmacists helping Vets and Pets
Compounding allows veterinarians to broaden their prescribing abilities and to offer dosages and dosage forms that are patient-specific in strength and formulation. Therefore, the goal of compounding for the veterinary patient is to enhance the veterinarian’s ability to treat patients in a more effective and efficient manner.
Our pharmacy can prepare:
- Flavored medication
- Medicine in ideal size, strength, and dosage form
- Transdermal medications
- Unavailable medications
- Combinations to improve compliance
- Novel devices and delivery systems
Compounding is actually a means to an end. We work together with veterinarians to solve medication problems by compounding specialized medications that meet the unique needs of each animal - pets, exotics, horses, or zoo animals.
Have you ever thought about applying a transdermal preparation to the inside of an animal’s ear or another hairless area as an alternate route of systemic administration? It’s quick and easy, and many medications are compatible with transdermal bases. Transdermal delivery is particularly useful for animals who should not be stressed due to cardiovascular or hypertensive illness. Also, it is appreciated by owners who no longer have to deal with an animal who resists being medicated. We can also prepare topical medications for application at the site of inflammation or infection.
Advantages of Transdermal Dosage Forms
Various alternative dosage forms permit medication to be absorbed via non-oral routes to meet an animal’s specific needs. Although the parenteral and rectal routes are traditional alternatives to oral administration, transdermal absorption offers many advantages.
- When medication is absorbed directly into the bloodstream without first entering the gastrointestinal system, a smaller amount of active ingredient may be required for therapeutic effect.
- Direct application and absorption at the target site can mean higher tissue levels and lower blood levels of various medications. Side effects such as GI irritation can be eliminated.
- Various types of drug interactions may be avoided when one or more interacting medications are administered transdermally.
A substantial number of references exist in human medical literature with regard to the efficacy of transdermal administration of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and other types of analgesics, antiemetics, and other medications. We can compound transdermal and topical medications using a suitable 3 base, and add penetrant enhancers if desired.
We welcome your questions and the opportunity to help you and your pet. Call our compounding professionals to discuss individualized treatments that meet your pets needs and preferences.
Key Compounding Pharmacy
We believe that only when people take charge of their health are they empowered to achieve a better quality of life. To improve our service, please take our customer survey.